High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Sunday, August 17, 2008

If you like to manipulate your photos to raise the content of awesome or are an avid photographer, you may have heard of High Dynamic Range or HDR photos. I understand the principal, but unfortunately don't have much experience with this method of photomanipulation. The basic principle, to my understanding, is that by taking several different exposures of the exact same image you can combine them in various programs to bring out the detail of shadows and highlights in the same picture.

This site shows 35 very nice HDR photos. [Link] I would love to make pictures like these. They really are beautiful. I'm going to look into software that can do this (or help you do it), I'd like to report which is easiest and which is the best for the money. These programs include Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Photomatix. If you are reading this and know how to do it, or want to check it out, please comment here with usefull information for a new HDR initiate.

1 Comment:

Brittanie said...

I know I didn't really respond all that enthusiastically when you first showed me that site. In reality, I spent 15 minutes staring at the pictures. If we could get a picture like that of Jenny Lake....